St. Luke’s United Methodist Church is on the Historical Register.
In 1824 the first Parish church had fallen in a “ruinous condition”, so a new building seemed in order. A second structure went up, about a half mile north of the original one, on land given by John Guerard. This is the little white building existing today. Upon it’s completion in 1824, known as St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, doors at either side of the chancel rostrum served as entrances for white worshipers; their slaves entered at the back and ascended to the gallery.
In that year, Episcopal services were held at four places in St. Luke’s parish: in the parish church (St. Luke’s), in the Coosawhatchie courthouse; on the island of Hilton Head; and at a chapel called “Union” in Grahamville. A few years later, services were also being held in a chapel on May River, a forerunner of Bluffton’s Church of the Cross.